Our network

Landover Elementary School Awarded 5,000 Grant | Schools

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Landover Elementary School Awarded 5,000 Grant
Landover Elementary School Awarded 5,000 Grant


The following information was sent to us by Tamara Chumley:


Celebrating the fifth consecutive year of its grant program supporting nationwide Educator for a Day events,The Richard W. Riley College of Education and Leadership at Walkden University announced the five preK–12 schools that will receive $5,000 grants to enhance their classroom education,provide educational technology or supplies, or sponsor special educational activities.


Oakcrest Elementary School in Landover, Md., was one of five recipients of a $5,000 Walden University Educator for a Day Grant this year.  As part of the grant, Oakcrest will host an Educator for a Day event on Thursday, Nov. 17 with community members shadowing teachers and working in groups and one-on-one with students in the classrooms. The check presentation and celebration will take place at noon.


Oakcrest is a talented and gifted magnet school where at least 80% of students perform at or above grade level in both reading and mathematics. The Elementary will use the grant to implement an enrichment/intervention program for the remaining 20%. The school plans to team up with Andrews Air Force Base and others from the armed forces so that members of the military can shadow educators to demonstrate their partnership with the community.


Grants were awarded based on teachers’ and administrators’ answers to essay questions about what noneducators should know about the school, what makes the school unique and how the school would use the grant money. Applicants also shared their ideas for hosting at least one aspiring educator who will shadow a teacher during Educator for a Day on Thursday, Nov. 17. Educator for a Day events are part of the National Education Association’s (NEA) 90th anniversary celebration of American Education Week.


$25,000 total in grants were awarded during NEA’s American Education Week to schools in five states: California, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, and Texas.


Walden’s 40-year history of educating educators has created a community of more than 50,000 students and alumni who are leaders in their classrooms and schools. As a leading provider of online education degrees, the Riley College of Education and Leadership is dedicated to increasing teacher effectiveness and student achievement by connecting its students with nationally recognized education experts, researchers and scholars. Walden’s programs, while strongly grounded in theory, emphasize practical skills and analytical tools that educators can immediately use to enhance student learning and outcomes.